Scout Name: _________________________________________________ Unit #: _______________ Date: _______________
Requirements Last Revised: 4/1/99 Snow Sports - Page 1 of 10
Merit Badge Requirements
1) Discuss winter sports safety, and show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while skiing, including
hypothermia, shock, dehydration, sunburn, fractures, bruises, sprains, and strains. Tell how to apply splints.
2) Explain why every skier should be prepared to render first aid in the even t of a skiing accident.
3) Explain the procedure used to report an accident to the local patrol for the area where you usually ski.
4) Tell the meaning of the Your Responsibility code for skiers and snowboarders. Explain why you must follow this code.
5) Complete all of the requirements for ONE of the following options: downhill (Alpine) skiing or cross-country (Nordic) or
Downhill (Alpine) Skiing
A) Show how to use and maintain your own release bindings and explain the use of two others. Explain the international
DIN standard and what it means to skiers.
B) Explain the American Teaching System as a basic snow-skiing progression.
C) Explain and discuss the following:
1) Five types of Alpine skis
2) Telemark skis
D) Name the major ski organizations in the United States and explain their functions.
E) Explain the importance of strength, endurance, and flexibility in downhill skiing. Demonstrate exercises and activities
you can do to get fit for skiing.
F) Do the following:
1) Present yourself properly clothed and equipped for downhill skiing. Discuss how the clothing you have chosen
will keep you warm.
2) Demonstrate two ways to carry skis and poles safely and easily.
G) Demonstrate how to ride on kind of lift and explain how to ride two others.
H) Explain the international