C:\Documents and Settings\lee.williams\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKB736\DBA General
Instructions Update 1-20-05.doc12/22/05
PeggyAnn Milton, County Clerk
115 E Washington Street, Room 102
PO Box 2400
Bloomington, Illinois 61702-2400
Phone: (309) 888-5190
Fax: (309) 888-5932
DOING BUSINESS UNDER AN ASSUMED NAME
Any person(s) conducting business in this State under an Assumed Name must register in the
County Clerk’s Office in the county where the business is based. The legal reference to this can
be found in the Illinois Compiled Statutes, 805 ILCS 405/1-6.
In the County Clerk’s Office, search our Assumed Name database to determine if the name
you have chosen for your business is currently being used.
• Complete the enclosed Assumed Name Certificate Intention (Form #290). Please type or
• Signature(s) on the Assumed Name Certificate Intention must be notarized. Please make
every effort to have your signature(s) notarized before you bring the completed form to the
County Clerk’s Office. The notary in our office is not always available.
• File the completed Assumed Name Certificate Intention in the County Clerk’s Office.
The state-mandated fee for filing the Intention is $5.00. Take the receipt to the newspaper
you have chosen for your legal ad.
• The information on the Intention must be published in the legal section of a county
subscription newspaper. This legal ad must run at least once a week for three consecutive
weeks. NOTE: Illinois Statutes require the first ad to be published within 15 days after the
Assumed Name Certificate Intention has been filed in the Office of the County Clerk. Failure
to publish within 15 days will result in re-filing.
• At the end of the publication period (three consecutive weeks) of the legal ad, the newspaper