Service Repair Manual
345B II MH EXCAVATOR
Transmission Repair Stand
A. Remove the swing drive. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Swing Drive - Remove and
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during
performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair
of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers
before opening any compartment or disassembling any component
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Caterpillar Tools and Shop
Products Guide" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain
fluids on Caterpillar products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
1. Attach Tooling (A) and a suitable lifting device to the swing drive. The weight of the swing
drive is approximately 227 kg (500 lb).
2. Open the drain valve, and drain the oil from the swing drive into a suitable container for
storage or disposal. The capacity of the swing drive is approximately 11 L (2.9 US gal). If
necessary, remove the drain valve from the swing drive housing.
3. Put an alignment mark on the cover and on the ring gear of the swing drive for assembly
345B Series II Material Handler APB00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3176C ...
4. Remove bolts (1) and the washers that secure cover (2) to the ring gear and the housing of
the swing drive.
5. Attach Tooling (B) and a suitable lifting device to cover (2). Carefully remove cover (2)
from the ring gear on the swing drive.
6. Remove sun gear (3) from the carrier assembly (4) .
7. Remove spacer (5) from carrier assembly (4) .
8. Remove carrier assembly (4) from the swing drive.
9. Disassemble carrier assembly (4), as follows:
345B Series II Mater