The Court (Judiciary) Hierarchy
Full Court of the High Court
(Up to seven Judges & last
avenue of appeal)
High Court of Australia
- r . ' • '
NSW Court of Appeal/ Court of
Criminal Appeal 3- 5 Judges
(Single judge with jury)
Single Judge - jury when
required. Eg Parramatta
Magistrate, no jury.
Eg. Ryde and Hornsby
Federal Court of
Family Court of
Eg Westmead, Glebe.
The structure of Appeals in NSW and the Court Structure
CoUlt Structure Activity - State in which court would the following cases be held.
1. Big Bird has been charged with speeding (120km/h) in a built up zone.
2. Bert being charged with the murder of Ernie.
3. A drunk and disorderly charge for Cookie Monster.
> x ..
: ' - " ' """•'- ••-.-
4. Oscar making an appeal after losing his case in the NSW Supreme Court.
5. An appeal by H. Simpson against a magistrate's decision concerning the theft of an IPOD.
6. A civil case where in which Elmo is being sued for unpaid rent of $650.
7. An investigation in a suspicious death.
8. A theft charge against Bart Simpson (under 18) for a video game worth $150.
9. A civil case where an Opera singer is being sued for breach of contract for up to $2 m. _
10. A dispute between the separated Von Trapp couple concerning the custody of their children.
11. A conflict between the Federal & State Sovts. over constitutional powers regarding industrial relations
12. Humphrey is charged with indecent exposure.
13. A trial involving P. Diddy Daddy Doggy Do, related to armed robbery.
14. A civil dispute in which one party is suing another for negligence for $85, 000.
15. A preliminarily (committal) hearing into a sexual assault case.