Promotion and Pricing Strategies
Discuss how integrated marketing
communications relates to a firm’s
overall promotion strategy.
Explain promotional mix and
outline the objectives of promotion.
Summarize the different types of
advertising and advertising media.
Outline the roles of sales
promotion, personal selling, and
Describe pushing and pulling
Discuss the major ethical issues
involved in promotion.
Outline the different types of
Discuss how firms set prices in
the marketplace, and
describe the four alter-
native pricing strategies.
perceptions of price.
Promotion The function of informing, persuading, and influencing a
Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC) Coordination of all
promotional activities—media advertising, direct mail, personal selling,
sales promotion, and public relations—to produce a unified customer-
• Must take a broad view and plan for all form of customer contact.
• Create unified personality and message for the good, service, or brand.
• Elements include personal selling, advertising, sales promotion,
publicity, and public relations.
THE PROMOTIONAL MIX
Promotional Mix Combination of personal and nonpersonal selling
techniques designed to achieve promotional objectives.
Personal Selling Interpersonal promotional process involving a seller’s
face-to-face presentation to a prospective buyer.
• Nonpersonal Selling Advertising, sales promotion, direct marketing, and
Objectives of Promotional Strategy
• Product Placement Marketers pay placement fees to have their products
showcased in various media, ranging from newspapers and magazines
to television and movies.
• Guerilla Marketing Innovative, low-cost marketing efforts designed to get
consumers’ attention in unusual ways.
Paid nonpersonal communication delivered through various media and