Anatomy and Physiology II MED 165
Respiratory System Study Guide
1. What are the six functions of the respiratory system?
2. What is ventilation?
3. What is respiration?
4. Are they the same thing?
5. Where does external respiration occur?
6. Where does internal respiration occur?
7. Where does cellular respiration occur?
8. What form of energy results from cellular respiration?
9. Where does the upper respiratory system begin? End?
10. Where does the lower respiratory system begin? End?
11. What does the conducting respiratory system do?
12. What does the gas exchange respiratory system do?
13. What are the nares?
14. What is the function of nasal conchae?
15. What are the paranasal sinuses?
16. What is the difference between the nasopharynx, oropharynx, and laryngopharynx?
17. Which structure protects the trachea from food during swallowing?
18. What is the trachea? What is it commonly called?
19. What is the name of the point where the trachea bifuricates into the bronchi?
20. What is the shape of the hyaline cartilage that makes up part of the trachea?
21. Which bronchi is wider and more vertical?
22. What is the name of the region where the primary bronchi enter the lung tissue?
23. How many secondary bronchi are in the left lung? Right lung?
24. What happens to the diameter of all bronchi as they progress deeper into the lungs?
25. How wide is a bronchiole?
26. What is the function of an alveoli?
27. How many are present in each lung?
28. What is made by a type II pneumocyte?
29. What is the purpose of surfactant?
30. What is the name of the tissue that covers the inside of the chest cavity and the surface of the
31. What artery supplies lungs with their oxygen and nutrients?
32. What artery carries blood to the lungs for exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide?
33. What vein carries blood from the lungs back to the heart?
34. What are the two phases of pulmonary ventilation?
35. Which direction does air move in inhalation (inspiration)?
PDF Created with deskPDF PD