LONG-TERM PERFORMANCE INCENTIVE PLAN
FISCAL YEARS 1999 - 2001
THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION INTENDED FOR USE ONLY
WITHIN SARA LEE CORPORATION. THE REPRODUCTION OR DISTRIBUTION OF THIS
DOCUMENT, EITHER ELECTRONICALLY OR IN HARDCOPY, WITHOUT THE PRIOR
APPROVAL OF THE SARA LEE CORPORATION CORPORATE COMPENSATION
DEPARTMENT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
This booklet explains the plan provisions of the Sara Lee Corporation Long-Term Performance Incentive Plan
covering fiscal years 1999 through 2001 ("Performance Cycle"). The following pages provide detailed
information relating to the grant of restricted stock units that you have received under the Plan.
The key features of this plan are summarized below. In some countries other than the United States, variations in
plan design may occur in order to comply with local laws and tax provisions.
RESTRICTED STOCK UNITS
- Restricted stock units (RSUs) are granted at the beginning of the Performance Cycle. At the end of the
Performance Cycle, based upon the actual performance results, the appropriate number RSUs are converted to
shares of Sara Lee stock, on a one-for-one basis, and issued in your name.
- The number of shares, if any, that will be released to you is dependent upon the extent to which the pre-
established performance goals are achieved during the Performance Cycle.
- An opportunity to earn additional shares is possible if performance results exceed the Superior performance
- You do not have voting rights on RSUs during the Performance Cycle.
- Dividend equivalents are accrued on your behalf through the Performance Cycle.
- Interest on accrued dividend equivalents is credited at the same rate as provided for under the Sara Lee
Corporation Executive Deferred Compensation Plan.
- Accrued dividend equivalents and interest are distributed to you to the extent that shares are earned at the end
of the Performance Cycle. No dividend equivalents or inte