Need to get somewhere? For VTA (bus) information on how to get to an agency, call
(408) 321 –2300. Give the operator facts about where you are coming from and where you would like to go.
How to Apply for U.S. Citizenship
There are several benefits to becoming an
American citizen. Benefits include the
§ The right to vote.
§ The right to serve on a jury.
§ The right to travel with a United
§ The right to help relatives immigrate
more quickly to the United States.
§ The right to hold public office and
obtain government jobs.
§ You do not need to renew your green
card every ten years.
In addition to choosing to go to an attorney to
help you apply for citizenship, there are many
community organizations that can assist you at
very low or no cost.
Do I qualify to apply for
To be eligible to apply for citizenship, you must
meet the following requirements:
1. Must be a permanent resident and not on
probation at the time of your naturalization
2. Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of
submitting the application.
3. Must have been a resident of the state or
district where applying for citizenship for at
least 3 months.
4. Must demonstrate good moral character
primarily (but not exclusively) for the five
years prior to applying for citizenship, and
continuing up to the time of swearing in.
5. Must be able to read, write, and speak Basic
English, with some exceptions (please see
section “Do I need to speak English during my
6. Must have been a permanent resident for the
last five years, or the last three years if
married to a U.S. citizen. If applying for
citizenship as the spouse of an American
citizen, must continue to be married and
continue to live with that spouse until the time
of swearing in.
7. Must have not disrupted permanent residence
for any of the last five years (or three years if
married to an American citizen).
8. Must have been physically present in the
United States for at least one-half of the five