CITY OF BARRIE
BARRIER –FREE AUDIT CHECKLIST
YES NO N/A
1. Are there adequate wheelchair spaces? (Two for up to 100 seats and one
for each 100 additional seats.)
2. Are there attendant seats available and are they adjacent or nearby?
3. Are the wheelchair spaces clear and level?
3. Is the space adequate in size to accommodate manual/electric chairs and
scooters where necessary?
4. Are the spaces adjacent to the barrier – free path of travel?
6. Does the seating arrangement provide a choice of viewing and a clear
view of the events?
7. Is signage adequate to indicate the location of the seating area?
8. Are there attendants or ushers to assist in seating, entering and exiting?
9. Are accessible washrooms available and are there signs indicating their
10. Are assistive listening systems available for the hearing impaired?
BARRIER FREE PATH OF TRAVEL (INTERIORS):
1. Is the floor surface free of grates or openings larger than ½ inch?
2. Is the path wide enough to permit wheelchair use? Is it wide enough for
two chairs to pass? If the width is less than 63 inches then there must be
a clear space 5ft X 5ft every 98 ft.
3. Lighting 50Lux.
4. Is a path provided throughout the entrance story and within all normally
occupied floor areas served by a passenger type elevator?
5. Is the path stable, firm and slip resistant?
6. Are ramps done correctly where ramps are required and are changes
level or beveled correctly at door openings, floor changes etc.?
7. Is the path clear to all floors served by an escalator?
8. Is lighting adequate for vision impairments?
9. Is the path clear to all stories or level within normally occupied floor
areas that offer service to the public? Recommended.
10. Are controls for all services, elevators, lights, heating and air
conditioning, accessible to wheelchairs and operable by 1 hand?
11. Are Braille markings available on elevator controls, floor indicators etc.?