Catholic Charities USA Urges Support of Prisoner
On behalf of Catholic Charities USA, I urge you to support the Second Chance Act of 2005 (H.R. 1704).
Catholic Charities USA is the nation’s largest private network of over 1,800 social service agencies and
institutions providing essential services to over 7 million people annually.
We believe the Second Chance Act of 2005 is a significant first step towards reducing recidivism,
promoting public safety in communities, and addressing the barriers faced by offenders exiting the prison
system. The bill, as introduced, lays the framework for addressing barriers ex-offenders face in accessing
housing, employment, substance abuse and mental health treatment, and healthcare. H.R. 1704 will help
to reduce recidivism rates by using common sense solutions, such as:
• Providing grants to community-based organizations for mentoring of adult offenders and providing
transitional services for re-integration into the community.
• Providing grants to states and local governments that may be used to expand family-based treatment
centers that offer family-based comprehensive treatment services for parents and their children as a
complete family unit.
• Establishing a national resource center for states, local governments, service providers, faith-based
organizations, corrections and community organizations to collect and disseminate best practices and
provide training and support around reentry.
• Creating a federal interagency taskforce to: identify programs and resources on reentry, develop
interagency initiatives and a national reentry research agenda, and report to Congress on the federal
barriers that exist to successful reentry with recommendations.
• Providing grants to states and local governments to develop or adopt procedures to ensure that
dangerous felons are not released from prison prematurely
Our position is based on our Church’s t