TEACHING ASSISTANT DUTIES
Duties in common for all TAs:
Establish and Maintain Communications with Supervising Faculty:
- Meet with each supervising faculty member (course instructor) before classes
- Meet with each supervising faculty member regularly during the quarter,
typically once per week (for courses with more than one TA, this may be a
weekly group meeting).
- Exchange e-mail and phone contacts, then check your messages daily.
- Contact each supervising faculty member at the end of the quarter to insure
that there are no outstanding issues to be resolved.
Adhere to Policies and Procedures established by Supervising Faculty:
- Familiarize yourself with course policies and procedures.
- Consult the supervising faculty member about anything that is unclear.
- Follow these policies and procedures at all times, and apply them fairly and
uniformly to each student.
- Discuss any exceptional situations with the supervising faculty member before
Promptly Inform the Supervising Faculty of any Problems:
- Discuss any problem or abnormal situation with the supervising faculty
member as soon as possible.
If it is necessary to take an action immediately, please do so, but also inform
the student(s) involved that your action is subject to review by the supervising
- Follow up with all parties to insure that the problem is resolved appropriately.
Take your Assigned Responsibilities Seriously:
- Begin each assigned session on time, stay with your class, and finish on time.
- Maintain professional demeanor at all times.
If you must miss an assigned duty, notify both your supervising faculty
member and the Senior Lecturer as far in advance as possible.
- Assist the department in arranging for a substitute to cover your duties.
Grade and Return Assignments in a Timely Fashion:
- Complete each grading assignment promptly.
It may be necessary in some cases to grade, record and return assignments
within as little as 24 hour