My Documentary on
• Top 12 Facts about Dolphins
that you must know
1. Dolphins are mammals.
• As all mammals, dolphins nurse their young from mammary glands.
2. Dolphins can swim up to 260 m. below the surface of the ocean.
• However they are mainly shallow divers as they need to reach the surface to breathe.
3. Dolphins can stay up to 15 minutes under water.
They only do this some times as they usually stay only a few minutes diving before reaching
the surface for air.
4. Dolphins use a technique called echolocation.
This technique uses the same principles of a radar, and it is used to find food and navigate.
5. Dolphins are social beings.
Dolphins live in groups and cooperate among each other for activities like getting food and
*Continue on next slide*
6. Dolphins are Cetaceans.
There are 32 species of ocean dolphins and 5 species of river dolphins.
7. The largest dolphin is the Orca, also known as “killer whale”.
Orcas grow up to 6.1 meters long and they are named as whales because their size, but they really belong to the toothed
cetacean family just like dolphins do.
8. The most popular dolphin is the “bottlenose dolphin".
Bottlenose dolphins are the ones we have seen in tv series, movies and aquatic shows. Bottlenose dolphins can grow up
to 2.5-2.8 meters.
9. Dolphins are warm-blooded.
As mammals, dolphins are warm blooded and their internal temperature is around 36 degrees. To conserve this
temperature they are surrounded by a thick layer of fat called “blubber” just below the skin.
10. The bottlenose dolphin brain weighs 1500-1600 grams.
While average human brain weighs 1200-1300 grs. This is not a conclusive evidence of dolphin intelligence as many other
factors might be the cause of intelligence according to scientists.
11. Dolphins communicate efficiently.
Dolphins can make a unique signature whistle that may help individual dolphins recognize
each other, collaborate and perform several other kinds of communication.