CAREER GUIDE FOR ARCHITECTS
SOC Code: 17-1011
Pay Bands: 5 and 6 (Salary Structure)
Standard Occupational Description: Plan and design structures, such as private residences,
office buildings, theaters, factories, and other structural property.
Architect positions in the Commonwealth are assigned to the following Roles in the
Architecture and Engineering Career Group:
While Architects within the Commonwealth are all located within the Architecture and
Engineering Career Group, individuals may want to pursue other opportunities within the
Commonwealth depending upon individual training, education, knowledge, skills, abilities, and
Other Career Group(s) that may be of interest are:
Media and Production Services
Policy Analysis and Planning
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND TASKS
(Technical and Functional Expertise)
Note: The technical and functional skills listed below are based on general occupational qualifications for Architects
commonly recognized by most employers. Typically, you will not be required to have all of the skills listed to be a
successful performer. Recruitment and selection standards for an individual state job must be based on the specific
knowledge, skills, and abilities for that job as indicated in the job announcement and job description in the Employee
1. Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points
being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
2. Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions,
conclusions or approaches to problems.
3. Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate
options and implement solutions.
4. Managing one's own time and the time of others.
5. Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work