Scout Name: _________________________________________________ Unit #: _______________ Date: _______________
Requirements Last Revised: 1/1/06 Truck Transportation - Page 1 of 8
Merit Badge Requirements
1) List the major truck lines serving your town.
2) Do the following:
A) Describe the role of truck transportation within commerce (the movement of goods, funds, and information).
B) Describe how trucks fit into a company’s supply chain. This could be a manufacturer, importer, wholesaler, or retailer.
C) On paper, map out how goods that are manufactured overseas are transported to a retailer in this country.
3) Describe the difference between the gasoline engine and the diesel engine that power trucks. List the advantages of each.
4) Visit a truck terminal and complete items 4a through 4e. After your visit, share what you have learned with your counselor.
A) Find out what kind of maintenance program the company follows to help keep its fleet, drivers, and the roadway safe.
B) Find out how dispatchers maintain communication with drivers on the road.
C) Talk with a professional truck driver about safety. Learn about the truck driver’s rules of the road for safe driving. List
five safe-driving rules every professional truck driver must follow.
D) Review the driver’s log and find out what kind of information the log contains.
E) Learn about important federal regulations that help ensure public safety.
5) Do the following:
A) Outline the general organization of a trucking company. Describe what each department does.
B) List five positions with trucking companies and describe each one.
6) Name five governmental agencies that work closely with the trucking industry. Describe their role.
7) List five different kinds of trucks. Tell the service each provides.
8) Assume that y