Scout Name: _________________________________________________ Unit #: _______________ Date: _______________
Requirements Last Revised: 1/1/05 Space Exploration - Page 1 of 9
Merit Badge Requirements
1) Tell the purpose of space exploration including:
A) Historical reasons.
B) Immediate goals in terms of specific knowledge.
C) Benefits related to Earth resources, technology, and new products.
2) Design a collector’s card, with a picture on the front and information on the back, about your favorite space pioneer. Share your
card and discuss four other space pioneers with your counselor.
3) Build, launch, and recover a model rocket.
* If local laws prohibit the launching of model rockets, do the following activity: Make a model of a NASA rocket. Explain
the functions of the parts. Give the history of the rocket.
Make a second launch to accomplish a specific objective. (Rocket must be built to meet the safety code of the National Association of
Rocketry. See “Model Rocketry” chapter). Identify and explain the following rocket parts:
A) Body tube B) Engine mount C) Fins D) Igniter E) Launch lug
F) Nose cone G) Payload H) Recovery system I) Rocket engine
4) Discuss and demonstrate each of the following:
A) The law of action-reaction
B) How rocket engines work
C) How satellites stay in orbit
D) How satellite pictures of the Earth and pictures of other planets are made and transmitted.
5) Do TWO of the following:
A) Discuss with your counselor an unmanned space exploration mission and an early manned mission. Tell about each
mission’s major discoveries, its importance, and what we learned from it about the planets, moons, or regions of space
B) Using magazine photographs, news clippings, and electronic articles (suc