U N I V E R S I T Y O F I L L I N O I S E X T E N S I O N
Canning Green Beans
the easy way …. the right way
Prepare Green Beans
• Select fresh, young, tender beans.
• Wash thoroughly.
• Trim ends.
• Snap to 1-inch pieces.
• Put raw beans into jar.
• Pack tightly.
• Leave 1-inch head space at top of jar.
• Add ½ teaspoon salt to each quart, if desired.
• Cover with boiling water to 1 inch from top of jar.
• Wipe rim, adjust lid.
Prepare Pressure Canner
• Set jars on rack in pressure canner.
• Pour 3 inches hot water in canner.
• Place cover on canner, fasten.
• Leave petcock open.
• Let steam come through petcock 10 minutes.
• Then close petcock.
• Let pressure gauge rise 11 pounds.
• Now begin timing – 25 minutes.
• Remove canner from heat, avoid drafts.
• Do not open. Let pressure gauge fall to zero.
• Then wait 3 minutes.
Release Steam from Canner
• Now open petcock, let steam escape.
• When all steam is gone, open back of canner lid first. This keeps steam
from burning you.
• Remove hot jars from canner.
• Cool jars on rack.
• Check seals, remove ring bands.
• Label and store in cool, dry place.
For more information about home canning,
contact your local University of Illinois Extension office.
The Family Nutrition Program is funded with Food Stamp Administrative funds by the
Food, Nutrition, and Consumer Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
University of Illinois ~ U.S. Department of Agriculture ~ Local Extension Councils Cooperating
University of Illinois Extension provides equal opportunities in programs and employment.