Auto Mechanics Terminology
Part I – Vocabulary Terms
1. ACCELERATION (verb) - def: To increase in speed
Do you hear the noise when you ACCELERATE?
2. ALIGN (verb) - def: To bring into a straight line.
The front tires need an ALIGNMENT.
3. ANTENNA - def: receiving wire on the car.
Someone broke my ANTENNA.
4. AXLE - def: The bar or shaft by which a pair of wheels rotate.
The AXLE is bent from the accident.
5. BATTERY - def: Cells in which generate or store electricity.
My BATTERY is dead.
6. BATTERY-charge - def: To jump start a dead battery
Can you CHARGE UP my BATTERY?
7. BATTERY-“jump-start-battery” - def: The process of starting the engine in one
vehicle by connecting it to the battery in another vehicle.
Can you give me a JUMP START?
8. BRAKE (verb) - def: An energy-conversion device used to slow or stop a vehicle.
You need to check the BRAKES.
9. BRAKE-drum - def: A metal drum mounted on a vehicle’s wheel to form the
outer shell of the brake.
The BRAKE DRUM needs to be replaced.
10. BRAKE-pads – def: The parts of disc brake systems that supply friction to the
brake rotor and convert vehicle motion into heat.
The BRAKE PADS have worn down 50%.
11. BRAKE-rotor – def: A disc-shaped device with flat friction surfaces machined
onto both sides against which the brake pads are pressed.
The brake pads are pressed against the BRAKE-rotor.
12. BUMPER – def: For protecting the front or rear of the car.
Your back BUMPER has a deep scratch on the right side.
13. CAMSHAFT – def: A shaft having a series of cams for operating the valve
Can you find the CAMSHAFT?
14. CARBURETOR – def: A device for mixing vaporized fuel with air to make
Do all cars today have a CARBURETOR?
15. CLUTCH – def: To operate a clutch in a vehicle.
The CLUTCH needs adjustment.
16. COMPRESSION (noun) def: Two forces act on opposite ends of an object but
are directed toward each other, squeezing the object.
You need to test the COMPRESSION.
17. CRANKSHAFT – def: A one-piece steel casting or forging that serves as the