EIAA Digital Women Report 2006
Top ten hints for advertising to women online
The rate at which European women using the internet is growing indicates that within
the next year they will be online more than men. Here are some insights which we
hope will generate some ideas for people considering advertising to women online.
1. Understand evolving media – Advertisers need to recognise how women’s use
of different media is evolving and becoming more complex – the internet now
offers a much more varied environment where women are making the most of the
information, communication and commerce opportunities.
2. Develop an interactive relationship - Because of this complexity, advertisers
can create a more interactive relationship with female consumers online. It is
essential to plan for the long-term and develop a detailed strategy for
communicating with a female audience.
3. Seek out new routes - Online advertising offers greater variety and creative
opportunities than simply running a series of ad banners. Advertorials and
sponsorships are just two examples of alternative routes that could increase
visibility and relevance of message
4. Study trends – Keep up on what’s hot and how women are using the internet to
in their day-to-day lives - blogging, instant messaging, chat etc
5. Never use stereotypes - Today’s consumers no longer conform to the old
stereotypes, they are all individuals online so don’t try to categorise them too
6. Think clever creative – Online consumers are sophisticated and demanding.
The internet offers advertisers the opportunity to engage and interact with their
customers better but you need inventive and relevant campaigns, not
gimmicks, to connect effectively with your audience.
7. Broadband implications - The increasing popularity of broadband is having a
clear impact on who is using the internet and how they long they are using it for.
Think about the creative possibilities offered.
8. Look at environments - does the particular on