Scout Name: _________________________________________________ Unit #: _______________ Date: ______________
Requirements Last Revised: 9/1/96 Sports - Page 1 of 9
Merit Badge Requirements
1) Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while playing sports, including hypothermia; heatstroke; heat
exhaustion; frostbite; dehydration; sunburn; blisters; hyperventilation; bruises; strains; sprains; muscle cramps; broken, chipped,
loosened, or knocked-out teeth; bone fracture; nausea; and suspected injuries to the back, neck, and head.
2) Explain sportsmanship. Tell why it is important. Give several examples of good sportsmanship in sports. Relate at least one of
these to everyday citizenship off the sports field.
3) Take part for one full season as a member of an organized team in ONE of the following sports: baseball, basketball, bowling,
cross-country, diving, fencing, field hockey, football, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, rugby, skating (ice or roller), soccer,
softball, swimming, team handball, tennis, track and field, volleyball, water polo, or wrestling (or any other recognized team sport
approved in advance by your counselor, except boxing and karate).
4) Take part in ONE of the following sports on a competitive basis in two organized meets or tournaments: archery, badminton, bait or
fly casting, bowling, canoeing, cycling, diving, fencing, fishing, golf, gymnastics, handball, horsemanship, horseshoes, judo,
orienteering, paddleball, rifle or shotgun shooting, sailing, skating (ice or roller), skiing, swimming, table tennis, tennis, track and field,
water-skiing, or wrestling (or any other recognized sport approved in advance by your counselor, except boxing and karate).
**This cannot be the same sport used to meet requirement 3.
5) Make a set of training rules for the sports you picked. Tell why these rules are important.