Page 1 of 4
Application Hosting Services
This document describes the model used to determine charges for services hosted
by MIS. The procedure also includes the finalised list of charges for 2006/7.
• MIS cannot subsidise customer business activity other that when this has
been explicitly agreed by the Director of MIS.
• The charging model will be simple and transparent. MIS staff and customers
will understand the model and how charges are being calculated.
• Shared infrastructure will be used whenever possible. This aims to provide a
win/win scenario where MIS make a modest return on investment and the
customer gets a cheaper, higher quality service.
• Prices will be reviewed annually and may go up or down depending on
external and internal factors such as hardware replace costs, software
maintenance charges and staffing costs – this latter factor will only be
increased in line with general University salary inflation, i.e. about 5% per
• Costs will be payable annually for the duration of the agreement. The
minimum agreement length is 1 year.
• MIS staff activity in support of the hosted application will, as far as possible,
be captured using the MIS Time Recording system. Whenever possible a
code will be set up within Time Recording for each hosted application and the
actual MIS staff time captured in Time Recording will be made available to the
Solely Owned Infrastructure
The customer pays all hardware and software purchase and maintenance charges at
cost and gets sole use of the infrastructure. MIS charges a fixed fee, the
Management Charge, for providing services which may include:
• Server specification and purchasing*
• Server set up and application configuration*
• Managing the server environment.
• Security services including firewall and patching.
• Backup and recovery.
• Performance and capacity management.
• Resilience management - this will typically require additional resilient