Brookhaven National Laboratory/ LIGHT SOURCES DIRECTORATE
Subject: ENVIRONMENTAL, SAFETY AND HEALTH INSPECTIONS
Page 1 of 12
NSLS ESH&Q Manager
*Approval signatures on file with master copy.
The only official copy of this file is the one on-line in the NSLS ESH website. Before using a printed copy, verify that it is the most
current version by checking the document issue date on the NSLS ESH website.
As part of the endeavor to eliminate the diverse and changing potential for unsafe conditions,
and to increase the safety awareness of individual employees, a formal ES&H inspection
program shall be implemented.
This procedure sets forth the responsibilities and elements of the ES&H inspection.
NSLS Department Chairman is responsible for ensuring implementation of this
procedure. Specifically, he shall ensure that this plan is suitable for the NSLS
NSLS Safety Engineer is responsible for the direct execution of this procedure.
Specifically, he shall:
• Schedule departmental inspections.
• Conduct the inspection and designate other personnel to assist.
• Ensure that the required reports are prepared and distributed.
• Ensure that the reported deficiencies have adequate and documented follow-
4. CONDUCT OF INSPECTIONS
• Offices, grounds and public areas shall be inspected annually.
• All other areas including Experimental Floor, Ring Tunnels, Machine Shops,
and Laboratories shall be inspected quarterly.
The inspection team shall have at least two members. One shall be the NSLS Safety
Engineer and the second can be any other BNL staff member. A third member, the
Local Area Representative, should be on the tour whenever possible. Other members
shall be selected based on their knowledge and experi