Advanced Googling for
Open Source Academy
Internet Science Faculty
Intros, Overview, Admin
• Basic & advanced search
Features, operators, and syntax
Google focused, but applies to other search engines.
• Hands-on class
• Explore, experiment, have fun!
• Questions? Comments?
Not an endorsement of Google
¾ time Tehran, Iran
¾ weather Paris
¾ 25% of 79.99
¾ 1 foot 3 inches in meters
¾ 100 USD in Pakistan rupee
¾ area code 571
¾ ~car loan
• Google provides many useful features
Gratifying, But Let's Dig Deeper
• There are many search engines on the Internet
• There are many sites that search engines can't search
What are some examples?
• The Internet is not the final answer; some things are just
Librarians can search databases you cannot!
Who's your LIBRARIAN?
Now that we’re hooked, let’s step
back and ask a few questions …
• What is the Internet & what isn’t it?
It is a standardized global system of interconnected computer networks
that connects millions of people; not all networks connected
The Internet is not the final answer; some things just aren’t there
• Are search engines always the best answer to a problem?
Specialized/vernacular web directories may be the fastest way to research
some subject; librarians are often the best answer
• Can these techniques be used elsewhere?
Appliances, or ports of search engines to private networks, will sometimes
lack features or behave differently
Other search engines may have slightly different syntax, check help pages
• We cannot cover all aspects of search in one class
Internet and all search engines changing at Internet speed
Read the manual or help pages even though