CITY OF CAMAS
Union Status: Non-Represented
ASSISTANT LIBRARY DIRECTOR
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the
class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under administrative direction, to plan, direct, supervise and coordinate activities and operations of the
City’s Library including the adult, children, technical and audio-visual sections, reference and circulation
functions; to coordinate assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies; and to provide
highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Library Director.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION STATEMENTS
The following tasks are typical for positions in this classification. Any single position may not perform all of these
tasks and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed here:
1. Provide administrative and professional assistance to the library director in the direction and
supervision of the library, including the adult and children’s sections and reference and circulation
functions. Directs the library in the absence of the director.
2. Participate in the formulation and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and procedures for
assigned programs; recommend and administer policies and procedures
3. Supervise, coordinate and assess and monitor the work plan for assigned library staff and volunteers;
assign work activities and projects; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods
and procedures; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems.
4. Manage assigned collections; evaluate and select materials for addition to and deletion from assigned
collections; ensure adequacy and currency of materials.
5. Communicate with book publishing representatives to evaluate their printed and electronic products
for addition to the library’s collection; maintain awareness of trends in book and electronic publishing
through reading appropriate li