Teaching with Primary Sources and the LOUISiana Digital Librar
isiana Gumbo Lesson Resource
na Gumbo: A Recipe for Empowerment Project is funded by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). Grant partners include the State Library of Louisiana, the
na Digital Library, the Louisiana State Museum, and The Historic New Orleans Collection.
liver Full of Fun! Automobiles of the 1920s
de Level: 8, 11
lore images of the 1920s to discover how automobiles changed the American lifestyle.
roximate Duration: 1 or 2 50-minute class periods
• History: Time, Continuity, and Change Students develop a sense of historical time and
historical perspective as they study the history of their community, state, nation, and world.
• H-1A-M4 analyzing historical data using primary and secondary sources;
de-Level Expectations (GLEs):
• Historical Thinking Skills
67. Analyze given source material to identify opinion, propaganda, or bias (H-1A-M4)
• English/Language Arts : Standard 1 Students read, comprehend, and respond to a range of
materials, using a variety of strategies for different purposes.
cational Technology Standards:
• Determine when technology is useful and select the appropriate tool(s) and technology
resources to address a variety of tasks and problems.
• Students will demonstrate their understanding of the causes and effects of change over time.
• Use reading comprehension skills and available technology to locate, select, and synthesize
information from digital images to acquire and communicate knowledge about events, ideas,
and issues related to history.
• Demonstrate historical perspective by participating in a class discussion of events that shaped
American and Louisiana history.
• Analyze cartoons, photographs, posters, and ot