City of Delaware
Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Policy
To maintain a drug-free workplace and comply with the requirements of the Drug-Free Workplace
Act of 1988, and comply with the notice requirements of R.C. 4123.54 as amended by Am. S.
Covered substances. This policy covers the following substances:
• Alcoholic beverages of any kind.
• Controlled or illegal drugs or substances, which include all forms of narcotics,
hallucinogens, depressants, stimulants, and other drugs whose use, possession, or transfer
is restricted or prohibited by law.
Exceptions. Drugs prescribed by a physician, dentist, or other person licensed to prescribe or
dispense controlled substances or drugs used in accordance with their instructions are not
subject to this policy.
• However, employees are prohibited from using substances, drugs, or medicines that cause
drowsiness or other side effects that may impair an employee’s capability to perform the
job properly and safely. Each employee is obligated to inform that person’s immediate
supervisor or department head of the use of any such medications.
Use prohibited on City premises. The following activities are prohibited while an employee is
on the City’s premises or otherwise engaged in City business:
• The manufacture, possession, use, sale, distribution, dispensation, receipt, or
transportation of any controlled substance or illegal drug, except as evidence collected in
the ordinary course of city police business.
• The possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages except at City-sponsored events,
• Being under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances during business hours.
• Performing duties while under the influence of alcohol or controlled and/or illegal
substances whether on or off City premises.
An employee who engages in such behavior will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and
including immediate dismissal, or, as a condition of continued employment,