How to achieve Florida General Contractor License in 2021
In Florida, you can become either a licensed contractor to perform general contracting work in
the whole state or in local jurisdiction.
The licensing process is conducted through the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board,
and it works under the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR
These agencies manage the requirement to get the general contractor license, and you should
comply with these regulations to obtain a contractor license in Florida.
The contracting company must determine its business format and register with a suitable agency
to become a licensed taxpayer. All contractors should obtain liability insurance before they get
licensed or start work.
There are lots to deliberate. However, the data below will walk you through the procedure of
how to become a general contractor in Florida.
Here are some steps you go through the requirements step-by-step and build your career as a
1. Complete all the requirements
To become a general contractor and get the license in Florida can be a complex process, so it is
better to know about the requirements to start the certification process:
● Age is 18 years or above
● Investigate the background and scan electronic applicant fingerprint
● A minimum credit score of 6600 and demonstrate financial stability
● Get the minimum or passing marks on the Florida construction exam
● Certificate of insurance for worker’s compensation and general liability (it only applies if you
have the employees)
Above all the requirements that will provide you with a limited registered license but by
considering Florida general contractor license books, you can qualify for a complete certified
license that allows you to work as a general contractor through the whole state of Florida:
● Four years of experience and is divided between work experience as foramen and formal
2. Prepare for Exam
There are two types of state certification