Service Repair Manual
320, 320L TRACK-TYPE
Model: 320 L EXCAVATOR 1KL
Configuration: 320, 320L TRACK-TYPE EXCAVATORS 1KL00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3066 ENGINE
Disassembly and Assembly
3064 and 3066 Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines
Media Number -SENR5553-10
Publication Date -01/05/2012
Date Updated -15/05/2012
Inlet and Exhaust Valves - Remove and Install
SMCS - 1105-010
Cylinder Head Repair Stand
Valve Spring Compressor
Valve Keeper Installer
A. Remove the cylinder head. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Cylinder Head -
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
1. Support cylinder head assembly (1) on Tool (A) .
2. Use tool (B) to compress valve spring (2) .
3. Use the magnetic end of tool (C) (not shown) to remove cap (4) and valve keepers (3).
Slowly release the pressure on tool (B) and remove tool (B) .
4. Remove retainer (5) and remove spring (2) .
5. Check the valve spring force with Tool (D). Refer to Specifications, "Valve Mechanism" for
information on the valve springs.
6. Remove exhaust valve (6) and inlet valve (7) through the bottom of the cylinder head
assembly (1). Put identification marks on the valves for installation purposes.
7. Perform the following procedure, if the valves need to be refaced:
a. Set the machine that will reface the valves at an angle of 30 degrees.
b. The valve has a stellite facing. This facing will be gone, if the margin o