If you are overweight, the best way to lose weight and keep it off, is through
eating healthily and being physically active every day.
Regular physical activity
Here’s a few tips to help you to be more active every day:
> To lose weight you need to do at least an hour of moderate exercise
such as walking, bicycling or swimming every day.
> Consider joining a formal activity program or group and take ‘time out’ for yourself.
> Increase your daily activity by walking or cycling to get the milk or morning paper
instead of driving and, if possible, walk to work, the shops or when visiting friends.
> Get a free copy of the Physical activity and type 2 diabetes information sheet.
How to eat healthily
The following list gives the basics to help you plan a healthy eating menu:
• Eat at least three regular meals each day. If you snack between meals choose
one serve of low fat carbohydrate food (eg: 1 tub low fat yoghurt, 1 piece of fruit,
• Choose wholegrain or wholemeal breads (one serve is 2 slices of bread or
1 bread roll).
• Eat cereals in moderation at meals such as 1 cup of rice, pasta or high fi bre
breakfast cereal (eg: porridge, untoasted muesli).
• Have at least two pieces of fruit each day.
• Have at least fi ve serves of vegetables each day (one serve is 1/2 cup of cooked or
1 cup of salad).
• Limit fats and oils in cooking. Avoid deep fried foods and try grilling, steaming or
stir-frying. Use a non-stick pan and an oil spray if needed.
In Australia, nearly two thirds of all men are
overweight. Being overweight is strongly associated
with type 2 diabetes and losing weight can make it
easier to manage. The most effective way to lose
weight and keep it off is to make long term changes to
your lifestyle, most importantly by eating healthily and
taking regular physical activity.
Talking diabetes No.11
Reprinted October 2008 A diabetes information series from State / Territory organisations of Diabetes Australia
do you need to lose some weight?
A GUIDE FOR MEN WITH DIABE