8 Ways to Green Your Office
by Jourdan Rassás
This story is part of Earth911’s “Green Eight” series, where we showcase
eight ways to green your life in various areas.
With all the hype about “going green,” you may have already started
replacing household cleaners with organic ones or maybe you’ve even
traded in that gas-guzzling car for a hybrid, but why stop there? Check
out some office-greening opportunities below. The possibilities are
1. Check Out Soy-Based Ink
Ink made from soybeans is not only better for the environment but better
for your company’s bottom line, as well. Soy-based ink benefits:
1. Lower levels of volatile organic compounds than ink made from
petroleum meaning less harmful toxins emitted
2. Produces brighter and sharper colors because of the innate
clearness of the soybean oil
3. Makes paper easier to recycle because it’s easier to remove in the
4. Prices are comparable to those for petroleum-based ink, but less
soy-based ink is needed per print job and it reduces paper waste,
so you are actually saving money
5. Soy-based ink supports American crops
Soy-based ink is currently only available for commercial printers, not
your office printers or ballpoint pens.
• Soybeans only use about 0.5 percent of the total energy that is
needed to create the ink.
• About 90 percent of the country’s daily newspapers with
circulations of more than 1500 use soy ink.
• About one quarter of commercial printers in the United States
operate using soy ink.
• When soy ink reaches its full potential, it will consume 457 million
pounds of soybean oil a year.
2. Eliminate Vending Machine Waste
Coffee-making vending machines may save you from caffeine-withdrawal
headaches in the morning, but they don’t help out the environment. If
your office vending machine dispenses its own cups, make sure they are
recyclable or see if the machine allows you to use your own reusable mug
instead of dispensing a plastic cup each time it makes a bevera