News & Politics
Counselor Job Description MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: 〈 An active Spirit-filled life and sound Biblical knowledge. 〈 An understanding of the importance of fun and challenge in the life of kids, and how fun and challenge can create teachable moments and be a vital part of a child’s development. 〈 Strong relational skills (personable, diverse, etc.) 〈 Moderate level of ability in at least three of our camp activities, or other similar activities. 〈 Flexibility and understanding of the diverse population of children which we deal with. 〈 The ability to motivate and excite campers in order to have a great time. 〈 A heart for the lost (unsaved), nominal (uncommitted), and growing (spiritually) child. 〈 A desire to live and work in a wilderness setting. 〈 A desire to serve the Lord through long hours, intense fun, and prayerful obedience. 〈 At least 18 years of age. RESPONSIBLE TO: 〈 The Director of Camp Sandy Cove. GOALS FOR CAMPER DEVELOPMENT: Physical Growth: 〈 To develop an enjoyment in camping and outdoor living. 〈 To provide ways for campers to build muscular control and coordination. 〈 To provide a wide variety of opportunities for campers to broaden their interest in physical activity. 〈 To allow children to develop skills at their own pace and attain excellence in activities of their interest, which they cannot learn at home. 〈 To present healthy challenges, while stressing safety. Social Growth: 〈 To help campers learn to live with, understand and sympathize with others. 〈 To foster the development of friendships among campers. 〈 To foster the development of friendships between campers and staff. 〈 To develop personal leadership skills. 〈 To balance rugged individualism with social consciousness. Intellectual Growth: 〈 To challenge each camper to grow in his/her knowledge of the Word of God and its meaning to his/her life. 〈 To challenge each camper to grow in his/her knowledge of the world around him/her. 〈 To challenge each camper to understand the concept of environmental stewardship, and what they can do to promote it. 〈 To challenge each camper to develop a wider base of knowledge through participation in our various activities. Spiritual Growth: 〈 Reach children with the message of salvation through Jesus Christ. 〈 Encourage children to make the decision to accept salvation through Jesus by making Him the Lord of their lives. 〈 Promote Godly living. Promote the idea of serving God through full time service to Him. GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: 〈 The counselor positions are filled by at least 12 males and 12 females. 〈 The counselor is essentially the individual who will make the biggest impact on the camper. 〈 Care for and lead as many as 10 children a week. 〈 Share a cabin with them 〈 Wake them up in the morning 〈 Organize cabin cleanup 〈 Sit with them at all meals except lunch 〈 Make sure that they understand and follow their activity schedule. It is said that the counselor should be with his/her campers 85% of the time, and know where they are the other 15%. 〈 Organize cabin night 〈 Organize and lead cookout 〈 Organize talent show skit for your cabin 〈 Lead the cabin in cabin Bible study and take them to Chapel. 〈 Write and deliver cabin devotions every night. 〈 Handle discipline as much as possible 〈 Handle homesickness as much as possible 〈 Be present and in control of cabin during: rest hour, free swim, store and all other cabin activities. 〈 Be aware of special needs (diet, bed wetting, allergies, etc.) 〈 Keep the campers to the daily schedule. 〈 Be a trusted friend. Campers that confide in you do so because they trust you. Don’t break their trust, with the exception of informing the Director of cases of abuse. It is the law that we report any such claim. 〈 Supervise campers during lodge free time. 〈 Build real friendships with the campers, for the purpose of showing God’s love, and sharing the message of salvation. 〈 Handle all aspects of camper life. 〈 Teach two activities a day. 〈 Go on Wednesday trips as leaders. 〈 Work one stayover trip (compensation time will be granted during that week.) 〈 Act in the Camp Sandy Cove production of the Passion Play. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 〈 Must have CPR/First Aid. 〈 Must have patience. 〈 Must have a willingness to serve in difficult situations. 〈 Must be comfortable doing silly activities. 〈 Must have competence in at least three of our camp activities. 〈 Must have a love for children and a willingness to work hard.