NC General Statutes - Chapter 55A 1
North Carolina Nonprofit Corporation Act.
Part 1. Short Title and Reservation of Power.
Â§ 55A-1-01. Short title.
This Chapter shall be known and may be cited as the "North Carolina Nonprofit
Corporation Act". (1993, c. 398, s. 1.)
Â§ 55A-1-02. Reservation of power to amend or repeal.
The General Assembly has power to amend or repeal all or part of this Chapter at any
time and all domestic and foreign corporations subject to this Chapter are governed by
the amendment or repeal. (1993, c. 398, s. 1.)
Â§Â§ 55A-1-03 through 55A-1-19. Reserved for future codification purposes.
Part 2. Filing Documents.
Â§ 55A-1-20. Filing requirements.
(a) A document required or permitted by this Chapter to be filed by the Secretary
of State must be filed under Chapter 55D of the General Statutes.
(b) A document submitted on behalf of a domestic or foreign corporation must be
(1) By the presiding officer of its board of directors, by its president, or by
another of its officers;
(2) If directors have not been selected or the corporation has not been
formed, by an incorporator; or
(3) If the corporation is in the hands of a receiver, trustee, or other
court-appointed fiduciary, by that fiduciary. (1955, c. 1230; 1967, c. 13,
s. 2; c. 823, s. 21; 1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 801, s. 2; 1993, c. 398, s.
1; 1999-369, s. 2.1; 2001-358, s. 7(a); 2001-387, ss. 32, 155, 173,
175(a); 2001-413, s. 6.)
Â§ 55A-1-21. Forms.
(a) The Secretary of State may promulgate and furnish on request forms for:
(1) An application for a certificate of existence;
(2) A foreign corporation's application for a certificate of authority to
conduct affairs in this State;
(3) A foreign corporation's application for a certificate of withdrawal;
(4) Designation of Principal Office Address; and
(5) Corporation's Statement of Change of Principal Office.
If the Secretary of State so requires, use of these forms is mandatory.