Do I Need To Get My Boiler Serviced Every Year?
As plumbers and gas heating specialists we get asked “Do I really need to service my boiler every
year?” Some customers think that if their boiler is working fine then its ok to leave well alone. It is
obviously going to save money by not getting it serviced. We’ve heard people never having their
boiler serviced! This is a mistake for the following reasons.
1. A boiler service can detect any gas leaks before they become a serious problem. Carbon
monoxide poisoning due to a leaky boiler is extremely dangerous to health and can even be
fatal. It is an odourless, invisible gas and can only be detected with a carbon monoxide
detector. When we service a boiler this is one of the main things we will be checking for. We
recommend that customers buy a carbon monoxide detector as a precaution.
2. A boiler that is regularly serviced will run more efficiently. Why spend a lot of money on an
energy efficient boiler and then waste money because it is not performing at its peak
efficiency? This is bad, both for your wallet and for the environment.
3. Most boiler manufacturers stipulate that in order to maintain the warranty that comes with
a new boiler it has to be serviced annually. Some boiler warranties can last for 10 years
which is a long time. If your boiler breaks down within this time, the cost of new parts and
labour can be very expensive. An annual service can be money well spent in this scenario.
4. Landlords are legally obliged to get any gas boilers serviced annually in order to keep their
boiler efficient and safe. Gas heating companies can offer appropriate certification to keep
the landlord within the legal framework. A Gas Safe qualified engineer must by law check all
gas appliances annually.
5. Just like a car, a boiler that is serviced regularly will run better and last longer. An annual
service can pick up on issues before they get too big and which ultimately might condemn
your boiler. By extending the life of your curre