HOW TO WRITE YOUR OWN SCARY STORY
1. Choose an interesting "what if." For example, what if you were trapped in a movie
2. Think about all the scary things that could happen in that situation. Then think about all
the ways a person could get out of that terrifying situation.
3. Who is the main character? Is it you or a fictional person?
4. Choose a scary setting. Decide where and when your story takes place.
5. How did the main character end up in the scary situation?
6. Choose a bad guy or villain. Describe this character and how he or she will provoke fear
in the story.
7. Complete THE 5 WS OF SCARY STORY WRITING handout.
evelop the plot:
â€¢ What will happen?
â€¢ What problems will the main character have to face?
â€¢ How will the problems be resolved?
â€¢ What other characters might be involved?
â€¢ What is the danger?
ake up a surprise ending. Good stories shock you!
omplete the INTERACTIVE STORY MAP at
ake sure to include all the story elements, such as descriptions of the setting, main
haracters, conflict, and resolution.
Now you are ready to write your own scary tale!
Copyright 2004 IRA/NCTE. All rights reserved.
ReadWriteThink materials may be reproduced for educational purposes.