CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY: DON'T
PUT OFF YOUR FURNACE INSPECTION
Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless, tasteless toxic gas,
and every year, at least 430 people die in the U.S. from accidental
carbon monoxide poisoning.
CO is found in the heat exchanger of furnaces. When the
furnace is on, the CO goes through the furnace’s flue
pipe and is deposited outside the home.
However, CO can escape through older or damaged tubing,
which is why it is crucial to keep your furnace in good repair
by having it inspected regularly by a professional HVAC
A carbon monoxide leak in your home
can cause headaches or convulsions.
It can also hurt the heart and
respiratory functions and can lead to
Many people don’t realize that if their
carbon monoxide detector is beeping, it’s
probably too late. Because CO can be so
hard to detect, it will always be a sneak
Several of the possible symptoms of CO in your home are: Dull
headaches, weakness, dizziness, shortness of breath, nausea or
vomiting, and shortness of breath.
Change your home’s air filters often. You
can do this yourself. It’s essential to do
this frequently during the colder seasons
when the furnaces are being used the
Install CO detectors. CO is colorless and odorless, so
you’ll never know when there’s a leak. Ideally, install the
detector near the floor; some homes come with a
combination smoke detector and CO detector, often
installed in the ceiling.
While a ceiling mount is perfect for smoke detection, carbon
monoxide is a heavier gas and will harm you before it reaches the
It's essential to do these things
frequently during the colder
seasons when the furnaces are
being used the most.
You want to make sure you're
doing everything you can to keep
your family safe from CO
For your furnace inspection,
contact the 6 & Fix team.: