Title: European Union Map Quest
Subject(s) Social Studies, Language Arts
Brief Description: Students will identify and label countries of the European Union. In
addition, students will practice map reading skills.
Time: One class period
• To locate and label countries of the European Union
• To locate information through map reading
• Panorama of the European Union map. Available online at
• Map of the world
• European Union Map Quests worksheet
• Blank map of Europe
• Crayons, markers, colored pencils
**Teacher Note: Blank map of Europe can be downloaded and printed at
1. Ask students to identify Europe on a wall map. Students will locate
countries of Europe as teacher calls out names of various countries.
2. Pair students for the European Union Map Quest activity and distribute
the :Panorama of the European Union” map.
3. Explain to students that the yellow on the map represents countries in the
European Union. Ask students why they think the European Union was
formed. Inform students the purpose of the EU is to foster cooperation
among the peoples of Europe and to promote unity while preserving
diversity. Ask students to locate the motto of the EU on the map. Discuss
its meaning. The EU is like a family of democratic European countries
who are committed to working together for peace and prosperity.
Just like the United States is composed of states working together, the
states in the EU also work together.
4. Distribute blank maps of Europe to each student.
5. Distribute and explain the European Union Map Quest worksheet.
6. Reassemble class to review and edit map quest activity.
• Group Interaction
• Student Participation
• Completion of European Union Map Quest worksheet
• Locate and label capitals of the European Union countries on the ma