CANADA’S VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS MAGAZINE
Applied Arts Magazine is Canada’s leading visual communications magazine, serving senior creative profes-
sionals in graphic design, interactive design and advertising. Since 1986, we have inspired and informed our readers
with gorgeous reproductions of artwork and essential industry insight. We publish six glossy issues a year, including
two highly prized stand-alone Awards Annuals —the Design & Advertising Annual (Nov/Dec) and Photography
& Illustration Annual (May/June)—and three awards supplements: The Printing Awards (Jan/Feb), Interactive
Awards (March/April) and Student Awards (Sept/Oct). All regular issues of Applied Arts contain a mix of re-
curring sections, special features and portfolios of outstanding work. The regular sections and columns include:
T O R
E U P
• Noteworthy—a collection of short items that
includes news briefs, samples of outstanding work,
product releases, interviews and more.
• Tech Talk—A technology column covering trends,
issues and emerging technologies of vital interest
to the visual communications industry.
• Stock Report—Stock Report—Twice a year (March/
April and Sept/Oct) we cover the latest developments,
new offerings and key players in the stock image industry.
• Hot Type—Twice a year (Jan/Feb and July/Aug) our
expert discusses trends and issues in fine typography
and type design.
• Design Doctor—The principals of Viva Dolan tackle
design issues with their trademark humour and insight.
• Ad Rant—A passionate diatribe by a different
senior advertising creative person each issue.
• Loose Lips—Guest columnists let loose on a wide
variety of issues.
• Young Blood—Showing the work of emerging
talents, including designers, photographers,
illustrators and advertising creatives.
• Masterworks—Portfolios of outstanding
senior photographers and illustrators.
There is also a regular mix of profiles and Q&As, showing the
work of the country’s top design an