The Elements of
Chapter 3: The Elements of Nonfiction Prose
In this chapter, you will continue your study of nonfiction prose. Now that you have an
understanding of the genre, we would like for you to explore various literary elements that are found
in this type of prose. You will then be asked to write an analysis of the full-length text that you began
reading in Chapter Two. You will need to take and successfully pass the quiz on your particular text by
following your instructor’s directions before beginning this chapter. Passing this quiz will insure that
you are ready to write your analysis.
You will also continue your work with the research process.
Activities to complete:
1. Take the quiz for the full-length text that you read.
2. Read the information about common elements of nonfiction prose and take the quiz to identify
those specific elements.
3. Answer the questions about the use of elements of nonfiction prose in your full-length text.
4. Compose an acceptable essay that discusses one or more elements of nonfiction prose in the full-
length text you chose to read in Chapter Two. Use correct MLA format and include a Works
5. Complete steps 3 through 5 for the research portfolio.
On completion of this chapter, you will be able to
• Correctly name the defined element of nonfiction prose, or correctly match an element to its
• Correctly describe how the authors used selected elements of nonfiction prose
• Analyze a full-length text and identify in an essay the elements of nonfiction prose used by the
• Support the main points of your essay using quotes and paraphrases from the source text
• Correctly format the essay and document sources using MLA style guidelines
• Locate sources relevant to your research topic using the library and Internet
• Narrow the focus of your research using resources from the library and Internet
• Compile a properly documented bibliography for your research notebook follo