Pasco Regional Hurricane Shelter
I. SUMMARY OF WORK
Pasco County, Florida
A. This is a two-phased project for the installation of single-story clinic and hurricane
shelter facility of approximately 39,000 gross square feet.
1. Phase 1: Construction of the hurricane shelter and clinic building and all related
site work and utilities. The building program consists of 3 large assembly rooms
to house a total of 1,000 evacuees. Additional program elements include related
restrooms, a commercial kitchen, and showers. The clinic portion of the facility is
approximately 8,000 gross square feet and includes exam rooms, offices and a
lab. The facility will include emergency power generation, domestic water storage
and sanitary storage.
2. Phase 2: Demolition of existing clinic facility, and related site restoration.
GENERAL ARCHITECTURAL REQUIREMENTS
A. Program requirements:
1. The approximate overall dimensions are indicated on the attached conceptual
2. Specific requirements for each room are outlined in the attached building
program and room data sheets.
1. All exterior circulation routes shall be accessible per FBC.
2. The main entrance shall be equipped with a canopy, approximately 20 feet by 18
feet, to provide weather protection for the entrance doors.
C. Exterior Walls:
1. Exterior walls shall be masonry, concrete or equivalent hurricane resistant
construction. Unit masonry walls shall be finished on the outside with sand float
finish Portland cement plaster.
2. Portions of walls not constructed of masonry or concrete, shall be of non-
combustible construction and shall be finished on the outside with three-coat,
7/8” thick, sand float finish portland cement plaster (stucco) applied over self-
furring metal lath, 15 lb. felt, 5/8” plywood wall sheathing, and vapor retarder.