CERRITOS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
CLASSIFICATION: Director of Public & Governmental Relations
DATE APPROVED: 8/2/06
GRADE: 5 (Management Salary Schedule)
Under the direction of the President/Superintendent, develops the District's external relations in
the following areas: government relations, including legislative advocacy, media and community
relations; advertising; marketing; public information; school relations; and planning and research
related to these areas and performs other related duties as assigned. Directs the development and
implementation of the District legislative program. Implements strategies to realize District initiatives
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide leadership, goal setting and planning for the District’s external relations,
governmental relations, media, advertising, marketing, public information, community
relations, and school relations functions.
2. Monitor legislation. Assess legislative priorities and recommend legislative program;
coordinate and direct implementation.
3. Serve as the legislative liaison for the District by cultivating relationships with state and
federal elected and appointed government officials to secure legislative and financial
support for the District. Coordinates support activities with the college administrators.
4. Brief the President on legislative activity. Formulate plans of action and provide direction
to the staff to implement approved strategies.
5. Work with the District research, planning and development functions and identify
opportunities to strengthen, through local research, the District’s legislative, outreach
and communications/marketing programs.
6. Assist the President and the Board of Trustees in responding to and interacting with the
news media, elected officials and the public at large.
7. Serve as a representative and spokesperson for the college to variou