What is a indirect sales channel ?
CHANNEL AS A SERVICE
The service aimed at B2B SaaS Companies to scale their sales revenue.
• Started out in IT at Sun Microsystems then Oracle
• Built global startup eco system - Sun Startup Essentials
• Built largest Big Data global event - Big Data Week
• Built channel at DataSift then Zendesk (pre IPO and post)
• Left to explore working in the real world
• Loves SaaS and the Channel.
WHO IS STEWART?
Likes Flowery attire
• Built channel program at Sun Microsystems aimed at recruiting startups
to purchase high availability hardware - everyone laughed.
• DataSift - one of three licenses globally for Twitter Firehose - Built
channel from zero ( and a sales team, fed the cat as well)
• Zendesk - Joined Pre IPO less than 200 staff - built from scratch a global
$10M ARR partner business.
• Channel - How a company sells their product
• Direct - Company to End User
• Indirect - Company to middle man to customer
• Reseller - Anyone that resells product or service
• Affiliate/Refers/Introducer - Does not sell (but still a channel)
• Partner - Legal term, but means reseller
• VAR - Value Added Reseller (installs, integration, training, etc.)
• System Integrator - Development capabilities.
• Distributor - Wholesale distributor
• MDF - Market Development Funds
• Co-op - Co-operated funds
• Channel Conflict - Resellers and/or vendor compete for same sale
INDIRECT SALES TERMINOLOGY
• A 100% commission, get paid when you get paid lead generators.
• Normally consultants who work in your clients and sector.
• They are lead generation only - you own the client and close the
• Trusted by their clients - normally leads are highly qualified.
• Not a run rate business, random in terms of lead generation.
WHAT IS A REFER/INTRODUCER CHANNEL ?
• A 100% commission, indirect sales force
• They take all the risk
• They cover their own expenses
• Often provide their own leads
• Can co-sell with you
• Must build loyalty t