Mercury fillings pose serious risks to your health. Inadvertently consuming even small amounts could lead to mercury poisoning.As such, it is highly recommended that composite fillings be used, as these are made of mercury-free and non-toxic materials. https://sunrise-dentistry.com/blog/why-replace-mercury-fillings/
Why Replace Mercury Fillings?
B L O G | S U N R I S E D E N T I S T R Y
Tooth decay is very common among both
children and adults. According to the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),
about 41% of children have tooth decay in
their baby teeth, while 90% of adults have
tooth decay in their permanent teeth. Tooth
decay, if left untreated, can lead to more
severe consequences. These include cavities,
infections, pain, and tooth loss.
The common denominator among the young
and old is dental cavities. The treatment for
dental cavities is to drill out the decayed
material and put a filling in its place. There
are two types, which are amalgam or
mercury fillings and composite fillings.
While mercury fillings have long been used
for treating cavities, several questions about
their safety have been raised and debated
over the last decade.
Are Mercury Fillings Safe?
This is one of the most common questions that
dental patients ask when they have their
cavities treated. As its name suggests, mercury
is the dominant and majority ingredient in
It also contains other
ingredients including silver, tin, copper, and
zinc. When mixed, they form into a hard and
durable substance called amalgam, which is
then used as the filling.
Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer
to the question for those asking, as there is no
conclusive research or evidence to prove its
harmfulness. Nevertheless, most dentists are
greatly concerned about possible mercury
fillings side effects with countries like
Sweden, Norway, and Denmark banning the
use of mercury fillings altogether.
Avoid Mercury Fillings
If you need to have a cavity treated, opt for
composite fillings instead. If you already
have mercury fillings, we strongly suggest
that you have these removed, as these could
negatively impact your health and well-
being. The main reason for this is the
possibility of mercury poisoning. Mercury is
a substance that should never be in your
mouth. If you have an amalgam filling, a