Specific Emergency Procedures
Detailed below are recommended procedures to be followed during specific types of
emergencies. It is suggested that the procedures always be followed in sequence unless
conditions dictate otherwise. These recommendations are part of the Ringling College of Art
and Design Emergency Response Plan, which is updated regularly and distributed to members of
the school’s Emergency Response Team. For a copy of the entire plan contact the Director of
• Ringling College of Art and Design Public Safety Officers are available 24 hours a
day seven days a week and can be contacted by dialing 359-7500 (last four digits
only if on a campus phone). The Office of Public Safety is designed to handle
emergency situations that may occur on campus and will contact outside agencies for
support when needed.
• If you need emergency police assistance pick up any campus telephone and dial 9-911.
Ask the operator for the Sarasota Police Department. The call will automatically be
transferred to the Sarasota Police Station and police units will be dispatched to your
• If you are reporting a fire dial 9-911. The Operator will transfer you immediately to
the Sarasota County Fire Department and fire units will be dispatched. After the fire
department has been notified, call 359-7500 to notify the Office of Public Safety.
• If you are reporting a medical emergency dial 9-911. The Operator will dispatch an
ambulance through the Sarasota County Fire Department. Once an ambulance has been
dispatched, call 359-7500 to notify the Office of Public Safety.
How to Report an Emergency
• When calling, stay calm and carefully explain the problem and location. DO NOT
HANG UP UNLESS TOLD TO DO SO.
• The Dispatcher will ask you questions to provide responding emergency units with vital
information. EMERGENCY HELP IS NOT BEING DELAYED. The Dispatcher is
directing emergency units by radio as you are provid