Freelance SEO Consultant
6 June 2019
Search Engine Marketing –
means both paid search and
Pay Per Click, what most paid
search is made up of
Search Engine Optimization –
also known as “organic
Social Media Marketing –
could be paid or unpaid;
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest,
• Does buying Adwords Ads help you rank in organic search?
• Nope…it’s a myth
• But being on the page twice CAN improve your CTR
• What about social media buzz? Does that help you rank?
• Google says no
• Google lies
It’s pretty clear that Google is monitoring “buzz” on a
few platforms (probably Facebook and Twitter) and
action there impacts rankings
appears at all?
with pages about
the topic in that city
that are actually IN
• Must have a verified Google My Business listing
• Used to be called Google Places for Business
Three/four key areas Google looks at:
• consistent name, address, phone # (NAP)
• Google My Business data exactly matches Facebook,
FourSquare, CitySearch, Yelp, etc.
• links to your website
• from other websites…the stronger the better!
• number & sentiment of reviews
•MAYBE user engagement metrics
Google wants to see lots of confirmation that the
phone number they’re going to give a user (or the
address) is correct
• Google looks foolish if Yelp has your new
address and Google Maps sends you to your old
If they think they might have the wrong info,
you’re not going to be showing up in the 3-pack
It appears that it’s links to the domain overall that
• this is a little different from regular organic ranking, where links to
the specific PAGE matter
• one really strong link can make all the difference!
Use the Moz Toolbar for Chrome: