Working with Excel Grade book
Blackboard can import and export spreadsheets. This means that you can import scores from Opscan
sheets, Clickers’ reports and Excel grade books. If you want to keep your Excel grade book in Excel and
import students’ grades as needed, the best way to start is to export Blackboard grade book to Excel
Exporting grade book to Excel
In grade book, click Export to spreadsheet.
2. At the next screen, choose appropriate settings and click Export.
Columns to Export: Choose Visible columns or All columns
Export Format: Comma-Delimited
Character Set: Unicode (UTF-8)
3. A message to save or open a file will show up. Choose Open.
In Excel, add any other columns you’d like to add.
5. Save the file with a title in a location of your choice. Do not change the file type and leave it
as .csv file. You will get a message about .csv files, but just say OK for the message.
Importing grade book to Blackboard
1. Click Import from spreadsheet.
2. Click Browse to locate the file and click Upload.
3. At the next screen, you’ll see a list of column information. Choose appropriate settings for each
column from the drop down menu. Click Upload. It is important User ID for Import column
matches with UserID for Blackboard column.
If you want to match columns, choose the column name from the drop down menu.
If you want to create a new column, choose Add as a new column.
If you don’t want to import a particular column, choose Do not import.
4. You get an error message about the columns you didn’t choose to import. Ignore this and click
OK. However, if you get other error messages, something didn’t get imported.
In the blackboard, click on the View All tab to see all the columns.
6. Click Grade book options at the upper right corner of grade book. Choose Column Settings from
the drop down menu.
7. At the next screen, you may choose settings here.
Type: Click on the Text link and change to Numeric if you’d like to release stati