Interactivity in Data Visualization
IT 7113 Data Visualization
• What is interactivity, exactly?
• What are the three levels and features of
interactivity support in data visualization?
• Applying visual information seeking mantra
in interactive visualizations and dashboards
A key feature of data visualization is the
interactive exploration and analysis of
data and visualizations.
Interactivity (in Data Visualization)
Interactivity is the functionality provided by the (visualization)
system/application to let users interact with the visualization or
the system/application through a user interface.
• So, the visualization itself becomes dynamic based on user
actions, providing different views of data.
• The overall analytical or reporting application can also become
interactive and support more user needs.
Image from https://www.slideshare.net/tillnagel/nagel-unfolding-thecityworkshops
Interactivity in the Visual Exploration and
Interaction is a general feature in computing systems and
applications. It is a process that users and systems can
Interactivity is an important aspect of data exploration
and analysis, as both are interactive processes.
– Interactivity can also support other analytics tasks like data
preparation, data cleanse, model training, etc.
• Visual interactivity focuses on the interactions in various
forms of data visualizations (charts, maps, dashboards,
Interactivity is essential in visual analytics where
discoveries are driven by intensive interactions with
• Enable multiple perspectives
“Static visuals can offer only pre-composed “views” of data, so multiple static views are needed to
present a variety of perspectives on the same information. A fixed image is ideal when alternate views
are neither needed nor desired, and required when publishing to a static medium, su