Location-Based Data Visualizations
IT 7113 Data Visualization
This lecture notes is hosted at https://www.edocr.com/v/npapy5k4/jgzheng/mapping-location-based-visualization
2017 - 2023
• Location intelligence and map
• Basics of data maps: three major elements
– Location data
– Base map
– Data representation (layers)
Location intelligence is an analytical capability that relates to
geographic or other types of locational contexts of business data. The
analysis based on this data can provide an additional aspect of
business insights. Naturally, visualizing this data in a location-based
context (map) has also gained popularity in many analytics and data
In this module, we will cover the following main points:
Spatial information, commonly known as “location", relates to the nature of “where”.
Location intelligence (LI) is a business intelligence (BI) and analytics capability that relates
geographic and location contexts to business data.
– Location Intelligence organizes business and geographically referenced data to reveal the relationship of
location to people, events, transactions, facilities, and assets.
Like business intelligence, location intelligence supports analysis and decision making. But for
the past 20 years, these two data-centric disciplines have forged independent but parallel
paths. Only now are they beginning to converge. The explosion of mobile and IoT devices
facilitates the integration of business and location intelligence.
– The first step toward converging location and business intelligence is plotting business metrics on a map.
– The next step is the interactive process of location driven visual analytics, utilizing more sophisticated
mapping layers and data presentation (even on three-dimensional surface, with the help of VR/AR