Data Visualizations and Maps
IT 7113 Data Visualization
This lecture notes is hosted at https://www.edocr.com/v/npapy5k4/jgzheng/mapping-location-based-visualization
• Location intelligence
• Basics of mapping: three major considerations
• Types of location-based visualization
– Geo Map
– Contextual location: building, court, field, etc.
– Abstract charting
Location intelligence is an analytical capability that relates to
geographic or other types of locational contexts of business data. The
analysis based on this data can provide an additional aspect of
business insights. Naturally, visualizing this data in a location-based
context (map) has also gained popularity in many analytics and data
In this module, we will cover the following main points:
Location intelligence (LI) is a business intelligence (BI) tool capability that relates geographic
contexts (usually as a dimension) to business data.
Location based visualization (map) is the base for location intelligence and plays an important
role in business intelligence.
– Within all of the leading front-end BI tools, interactive maps are replacing or augmenting standard table
and chart views of geographic data.
involves layering multiple data sets spatially, for easy reference on a map
– Maps provide context … Quickly associate data with familiar position/location – added familiarity
increase comprehension. (Tableau “The Power of Where”
– Maps are widely recognized and understood—even by nontechnical professionals—which helps make
the data represented more accessible and understood. (Forbes “The Power of Place”
Like business intelligence, location intelligence supports analysis and decision making. But for