A Comprehensive Overview
Jack G. Zheng
Fall 2022 (V10)
IT 4713/7123 BI
1. What is business intelligence (BI) and analytics?
– Are they the same or different?
2. BI/Analytics process and technology
– BI/Analytics as an information and decision process
– BI/Analytics as a computing and information system
3. BI evolution and trend: traditional BI and modern
4. BI/Analytics education and career
This lecture notes provides a high-level overview of business
intelligence and analytics. This overview is comprehensive and covers
as many aspects as possible, but it keeps them at a high level. More
details are provided in more learning modules.
What is BI and Analytics?
• Are they the same or different?
• How about data analytics, business analytics, data science, big
What is Business Intelligence?
Business Intelligence is a set of methods,
processes, architectures, applications, and
technologies that gather and transform raw data
into meaningful and useful information used to
enable more effective strategic, tactical, and
operational insights and decision-making.
Adapted from Forrester Report
“Topic Overview: Business Intelligence”, 2008
More BI from Forrester
BI is an umbrella term for a set of methods, processes, applications, and
technologies that focus on analytical data processing, which includes data
gathering/ingestion, data storage, data analysis, reporting, and other tasks.
• Does “business” only mean commercial entities and activities?
• Traditionally or narrowly speaking, “business” implies companies,
corporates, and their operations and commercial activities.
• The term “business” has become more general and represents many
types of entities and activities
– It refe