for Analytics and Business Intelligence
A Comprehensive Overview
IT 7113 Data Visualization
This lecture notes file is hosted at https://www.edocr.com/v/yqwmqeba/jgzheng/Business-Data-Visualization
• What is (business) data visualization?
– What are the types of visualization? What are the related terms and
fields? How are they similar or different?
• Data visualization in business intelligence and analytics
– Basic data visualization elements and forms (types)
• Data visualization and IT
– Design, development, delivery
– Applications and tools
• Skills, jobs, and career
• Learning resources
This lecture notes provides a high level overview of data visualization primarily
used in business intelligence and analytics. This overview is comprehensive
and covers as many aspects as possible, but it keeps them at a high level.
More details are provided in additional lecture notes.
• Visualization is related to vision (seeing through eyes), one of the major
human senses to interact with the world
• Visualization is the process of forming a visual image of things that can be
seen through eyes (or imagined in human mind).
• What can be visualized?
– Visible reality: person, animal, building, mountain
– Hidden reality: earth core, blood vessel, universe
Invisible reality: wind, air, heat, electron, sound, smell, magnetic fields
– Abstract entity: data, information, idea, hierarchy, process, relationship
• How to visualize them? – Types/features of visualization forms
– 2D vs. 3D
– Static vs. motion
– Virtual vs. materialized
– Realistic vs. abstract
• The visualization process (and the result) may change the original form of
things (or create a new form) for better understanding and communication.
A visualization of “visualization”
I see …
(or I can
2D vs. 3D
Static vs. motion
Virtual vs. materialized
Realistic vs. abstract